We are a voluntary group of parents established in 2000, to offer information and support to families of adults with Asperger’s Syndrome* in the Sheffield City Region. We also work with other groups to seek improved services in Sheffield and the area for adults with Asperger’s Syndrome and high functioning Autism.
What do we do?
- We run a quarterly Parent Support and Action Group
- We meet individual parents/carers to offer support and provide advice – contact Judith Birkett (email@example.com) to arrange this.
- We have a mailing list of 100 families. Join SAPAG to be added to the mailing list.
- In 2012 we established the A Team Social Group for adults on the spectrum. This grew out of an earlier snooker group and now offers a range of social activities through the year.
- We raise money which we use to subsidise the cost of running both the Parent Support Group and the A Team Social Group. Donate to SAPAG.
SAPAG is run by an Organising Committee and has a constitution.
The current Committee
Chair Judith Birkett (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Treasurer Julie Laing (Jlaing57@hotmail.co.uk)
Secretary Lesley Statham (email@example.com)
A Team Coordinators Jackie Wheeler (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sylvia Johnson (email@example.com), Carolyn Bealby (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Sue Porton.
We have links with The Sheffield Autistic Society and we attend the Sheffield Adult Autism Partnership Board. You can find information about these groups on the Sheffield Autistic Society Website. We also have links with ACCT which supports children (5-12) and Teenagers (13-19) with Aspergers and their families in Sheffield.
SAPAG also has a small collection of books which members can borrow. A list of these and other publications you might be interested in is found on the Publications page.
*Current diagnostic criteria no longer refer to Asperger’s Syndrome but simply Autism Spectrum Disorder. Consequently we now advertise that we support families of adults with ‘high functioning’ Autism Spectrum Disorder.